muirkirk in the hills of ayrshire - from the muirkirk enterprise group


Muirkirk Drill Hall

Muirkirk Drill Hall was located just off Lovedale Crescent.

Muirkirk Drill Hall
Photograph of the former Muirkirk Drill Hall taken in 2009

The Territorial Army Drill hall was built following the enactment of the Territorial and Reserve Forces Act 1907 which brought about the construction of many such halls throughout the British Isles.

Muirkirk Drill Hall was formally opened with a Social and Dance on Friday 23rd January 1914. The hall became the base for G Company 5th Battalion Royal Scots Fusiliers.

The hall consisted of a ground floor drill hall and shooting range, attached to an administration area which was spread over two floors.

Alongside its role as the TA Drill Hall, the hall was also used for a variety of community events and was the venue for the final event of Muirkirk's coronation celebrations in June 1953 when it hosted the Coronation Night Dance.

The building was declared surplus to requirements in 1959 and was subsequently sold off to become the home of the Muirtex clothing factory.

Drill Hall Links



G Company 5th Battalion Royal Scots FusiliersG Company 5th Battalion Royal Scots Fusiliers

The 1st Admin Battalion of the Ayrshire Rifle Volunteers was formed in 1860 and subsequently contained 14 individual corps of riflemen that had been raised throughout the county of Ayr as part of the Rifle Volunteer movement.

In 1873 the battalion was divided in two. The 2nd Admin Battalion had its headquarters in Kilmarnock and its companies were in north Ayrshire. The companies in the south of the county remained under the 1st Admin Battelion. In 1880 it became the 2nd Ayrshire Rifle Volunteer Corps and in 1887, the 1st Volunteer Battalion The Royal Scots Fusiliers.

In 1908 the Haldane reforms created the Territorial Force in 1908 and the battalion became the 5th Battalion The Royal Scots Fusiliers (Territorial Force).

In 1914, the battalion consisted of a Headquarters and A Company at Ayr, B Company at Catrine, C Company at Maybole, D Company at Stranraer, E Company at Cumnock, F Company at Troon, G Company at Muirkirk and H Company at Dalmellington.

In 1959 The Royal Scots Fusiliers were amalgamated with the Highland Light Infantry to form the Royal Highland Fusiliers. At the same time Muirkirk Drill Hall was declared surplus to requirements.