muirkirk in the hills of ayrshire - from the muirkirk enterprise group


Muirkirk Canal

Muirkirk Canal was a mile long canal built to supply the ironworks with iron ore, coal and water power and built about 1790.

According to "Cairntable Echoes" records of the Iron Works Managers from 27 September 1790 indicated a resolution "to make a Canal 8 feet wide at the bottom, 16 or 17 feet wide at the top, and 4 feet deep". Permission was to be sought to bring the water through his lands of Ashyburn, then owned by Mr MacAdam of Craigengullen .

Remains hinting at the location of the canal can be seen on the Old Railway Walk.