The railway came to Muirkirk on 9th August 1848 with the opening of the Auchinleck to Muirkirk branch line of the Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway (GPK&AR) and the arrival of Engine No 31, The Orion.
The original Muirkirk Railway Station was opened on 9 August 1848 as the terminus of the Muirkirk branch of the Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway. (later absorbed into the Glasgow and South-Western Railway). This station was located at NGR NS 692 263 This station was replaced by a new station in 1896.
The new Muirkirk Railway Station was opened in 1896, becoming the terminus of the Muirkirk branch of the Glasgow and South-Western Railway. This station had an end-on junction with the Carstairs, Glenbuck, Muirkirk junction of the Caledonian Railway. The new station closed to regular passenger traffic on 5 October 1964 when the last train left for Lanark..
THE "NEW" RAILWAY, 1918 - Extracted from Cairntable Echoes - Glenbuck Memories
What was termed the "new" railway when it was laid between ten and twenty years ago, by the Caledonian Railway Company, linking up the existing railway from Lesmahagow to Gallawhistle Pit, Glenbuck, with that at Muirkirk, it is now approaching probably its last phase. The railway was completed, but was never opened for traffic. Some years ago the rails were lifted. These are being re-laid by contractors for the purpose of dismantling the bridges and removing the iron girders from the several inconsiderably viaducts which spans the glens at Crossflatt, Ponesk, and Glenbuck, for, it is said, use in France.
This picture originally appeared in the Daily Record with the headline "Is
This My Holiday train?" and caption "This wee girl with her
holiday kit made sure she boarded the right train at Kilmarnock Station
on Saturday, at the beginning of the Kilmarnock Grozet Fair, when large
numbers left the town for coast and country."
On the footplate are Muirkirk railwaymen Will Parker (left) and Thomas
ROBERT ANDERSON LESLIE 1844: 1851 - 6 yrs, living with Anderson grandparents in Cooperhill, Edinkillie, Moray. 1861 - 16 yrs, apprentice clerk, living with parents and sister. 1871 - 26 yrs, Railway Station Master, dwelling Railway Station House, Muirkirk with wife and 3 children. 1881 - 36 yrs, Railway Station Master, dwelling Railway Station House, Muirkirk, with wife and 5 children. (No sign of daughter Agnes) 1891 - 46 yrs, inspector of Poor Register & C!, dwelling Hope Villa, Muirkirk with wife and 5 children - visiting minister and wife in household. 1901 - 56 yrs, Inspector of Poor, dwelling Wellwood St On Remore Cott., Muirkirk, with wife and 3 adult daughters.
1907 - Mr W. Y. Millar came to Muirkirk as Stationmaster in 1899, and retired through ill health, and was replaced in September, 1908, by Mr Robert Brown, the predecessor of Mr Millar.
To-day (1st May 1917) we have to record the death of Mr R. A.
Leslie, J.P., "Remore," Wellwood Street. Mr Leslie was born
at Remore in Nairnshire. His business training was begun in
the office of a banker and solicitor in Nairn. He spent some
time in Glasgow, but bad health forced him to seek outdoor
employment and took up duries with the North British Railway
Co. Mr Leslie was appointed Stationmaster at Muirkirk
in 1870, being transferred from Galston. In 1882 Mr Leslie
was appointed Inspector of Poor, School Board Clerk, and
Registrar of this Parish, from which, to the regret of all, he
retired two years ago owing to failing health, but was retained
in the capacity of consulting clerk. Mr Leslie took his full
share in the public life of the village. Interested in music, he
took a leading part in the formation of the late Choral Union-
once a power in Muirkirk musically. In 1910 he was appointed
Justice of the Peace.
LESLIE.-Mr Alexander Leslie (retired
Stationmaster) died at Saltcoats on 27th March 1937.
1945 - Mr Thomas Waugh, Stationmaster at Muirkirk for six years,
was replaced by Mr D. Kerr from Newton-on-Ayr. Mr Kerr,
incidentally, is a brother of Mr E. M. Kerr of the Clydesdale
Bank here in Muirkirk.
1956 - Mr A. Graham, Stationmaster at Muirkirk since 1951, has
been transferred to Newton-upon-Ayr.
1958 - Mr A. Bryden, Stationmaster at Muirkirk, was transferred
to Stranraer Harbour. He was replaced by Mr James Grant.
1961 A link with our district in days gone by was severed by the
passing on 31st October at Hitchen, Herts., of Mr Andrew
Fergusson, who had been residing with his daughter and sonin-
law at Ickleford.
Mr Fergusson, who was 84 years of age, was a native of
Carsphairn, and started as a signalman on the railway at Glenbuck
early in the century. He became stationmaster at Glenbuck
back in 1921, and after ten years in that capacity he was
transferred to Carnwath Station, finally ending his railway career
at High Blantyre.
He spent some time in retirement at Cambuslang before the
family moved to England.
The funeral took place to Muirkirk cemetery.
Mr Fergusson was predeceased by his wife 29 years ago.
She was Margaret Young Johnstone, a member of the wellknown
family who farmed at Airdsgreen.
1962 - Mr W. McCubbin is the new Stationmaster at Muirkirk. Mr
McCubbin, who was formerly in charge at Cronberry and
Lugar, will continue to control the three stations
William Rae (later relief signalman at Muirkirk and Inches Stations)
William Rae - relief signalman at Muirkirk and Inches Stations)
J McCall - 1909 (age 26 GSWR )
Accidents on Muirkirk's Railways
14th December 1867 - train misroute was reported by the Glasgow and South Western Railway
17th May 1875 - collision was reported by the Glasgow and South Western Railway
8th August 1888 - pedestrian killed crossing line
To the north of Commondyke station is a memorial a cross, in memory of Sister Laurienne who was struck by a train when crossing the railway line. The memorial reads "AT THE DISTANCE OF EIGHT FEET IN FRONT OF THIS SPOT THE REV SISTER LAURIENNE WAS ACCIDENTALLY KILLED ON THE 8TH DAY OF AUGUST 1888." The driver was Johnnie Goodfellow, and the engine No. 90, an 0-4-0 from Muirkirk.
7th June 1956 - Railway Fatal Accident
When the 1pm train from Lanark
arrived at Muirkirk Station, a man's cap was discovered on
the front of the engine.
On investigation the body of 68 year old William Findlay of 17 Lapriak Avenue was found on the line about a quarter of a mile
east of the Station. It was thought that Mr Findlay, who had some deafness, had been walking towards the station when the accident happened.
Muirkirk Railway Closures
Cronberry, GASSWATER SIDING g f to Muirkirk - Glasgow & S Western - 07-Feb-1969 - Used by rail tour 10-May-1969
Concentrating on the 1950s and '60's, the last days of steam before diesel, electric power, and Dr Beeching's deadly axe changed the railways for ever. This collection of photographs from that era, taken by acclaimed railway historian and photographer W.A.C. Smith, are an invaluable record of the time when steam ruled and trains were never late. Featuring many of the stations which once served all of Ayrshire, the 59 excellent photographs include locations at Kilmarnock, Darvel, Mauchline, Dalry, Kilwinning, Saltcoats, and others together with familiar rolling stock of the day.
Fascinating statistics on the now closed lines and demolished stations from these two counties, accompanied by 52 old photographs showing many of the locations in their prime. The original Wemyss Bay station, forerunner to the extravagant mock-Tudor structure that exists today, a railbus at Crosshouse, and the sorry spectacle of Kilwinning East station during demolition are some of the many subjects.